• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - Oct 19, 2015

Hello Everyone!
Milestones

Public Awareness - Phase I - October 1st, 2015

Utilize the budget system to spread information about the Dash project all over the world. Hit as many conferences as possible, educate people if possible to understand the more technical aspects of Dash so they can explain it to others.

Start designing a website and portal for all Dash related information to live.

Dash Evolution Development Begins - October 15th, 2015

I will begin work on the new Dash Evolution framework. This consists of the basic architecture, classes and simply functionality that runs the system.

New Website - January 8th, 2016

The new website will be designed to be the place to go to keep up with Dash, get initiated with our project originally and keep up to date about everything happening in the network as well. It will also be designed with converting new users into our ecosystem in mind.

Dash Evolution Phase II - November 7th, 2015

Private internal development will begin on the Dash Evolution framework.

Dash Evolution Demonstration / Phase III - January 26th, 2016

We will demonstrate what our new technology is about, how it works and why it’s a huge leap ahead of anything else that exists presently.

Marketing & Sales Funnels - February 1st, 2015

We’re working with some companies to enhance our new-user experience to improve the way they flow through the system to get into our ecosystem. By February the community should start seeing how all of this works for us.
Your timing as usual is spot on, now let the jet lag subside and put your passport safely in the drawer ready for the next round of presentations outside of the US and time to get on with some tricky coding work, with the help of your peripheral team and everyone else, go on!!! :smile: ...

eduffield will 2FA be be part of Evolution?

I ask because the end user is solely responsible for their DASH and they have no insurance should something happen, security will be of massive interest to the end user and features such as 2FA, Encrypted Backups, Wallet password security and a feature like Armory's paper backup would be great as all future generated keys could be restored using that one paper backup, which people can split using Shamir's Secret Sharing algorithm and then store each piece in different locations (This could be built into the wallet also).

With great security features we will gain users trust quickly

what are sub-quorum servers ?
Masternodes are going to be dynamically clustered for different purposes?

combined with our decentralized storage mechanism
I didn't follow close enough, what is the Dash's decentralized storage mechanism mentioned here?

the DAPI (Decentralized API) is a big thing. definitely a big breakthrough.

I didn't follow close enough, what is the Dash's decentralized storage mechanism mentioned here?

The way I read it in Evan's announcement, it's some sort of roaming profile, where your transaction history and other metadata is stored in the masternodes, so that you can access it from different clients (sort of like Firefox Sync)

what are sub-quorum servers ?
Masternodes are going to be dynamically clustered for different purposes?

the DAPI (Decentralized API) is a big thing. definitely a big breakthrough.

On this video Evan explains subquorums, that is how InstantX works,

Decentralized Storage is part of Evolution is not an existing feature, it is sharded encrypted decentralized storage over the masternode network to store the systems data. Just to clarify this is not decentralized storage for user file hosting, not a decentralized Dropbox, is just for the data of the system itself.

On this video Evan explains subquorums, that is how InstantX works,

Decentralized Storage is part of Evolution is not an existing feature, it is sharded encrypted decentralized storage over the masternode network to store the systems data. Just to clarify this is not decentralized storage for user file hosting, not a decentralized Dropbox, is just for the data of the system itself.

I was wondering about that and expected this might be the case. That Amsterdam slide talked about the minimum specs for MNs being 30 GB, which would imply network-wide storage capacity of about 100 TB, which isn't that much, considering. Especially when that has to be reduced due for data security (redundancy) purposes.

Whenever I go to one of these websites, I find it hard to get the info I want. General information should be easy to find. It should also read easily for the uninitiated. Such as a brief and engaging description of what Dash is, then links to each specialization: Simplified:

Home Page: Dash, a world wide currency with all the properties of traditional cash, only digital.

NONE of the crypto currency websites work this way. They give their mumbo jumbo spiel that nobody but technos can understand, if they can understand, or it's all a sales pitch that rings hollow. If it's broken down this way, people can go as deep into the information they're interested in as they want and at the speed they want. Anyway, I hope you give this some consideration. It's not flashy, but usable, which is, IMHO, harder to achieve and better to use.

Yes, this x1000.

I just read on the front page of another crypto-currency's site, mumbo-jumbo about things like: Algorithm, Block time, Difficulty retarget time, Reward retarget time, Total coins. It's obviously intended to tell why their coin is better than others, e.g. a comparison/contrast for why the crypto community should rally around that coin vs Bitcoin or whatever. But no actual useful information for the public at large.

Thank you TanteStefana -- your "Home Page" suggestion of Dash description is spot-on, simple and easy to understand, no buzz words.

Home Page: Dash, a world wide currency with all the properties of traditional cash, only digital.

Currently the pool "Unknown" has more than 59% of total hash rate. That problem may reduces attractiveness of our project.

eduffield, I think we need a vaccine for the 51% hash rate problem as soon as possible.

Currently the pool "Unknown" has more than 59% of total hash rate. That problem may reduces attractiveness of our project.

eduffield, I think we need a vaccine for the 51% hash rate problem as soon as possible.

Just to clarify "Unknown" is not a single pool, is just the aggregated hashrate of all unidentified sources and since coinmine.pl changed addresses they are appearing under Unknown together with all other unknown mining sources but they are definitely the large majority of that.

Now having said that, the whole space is in need of a solution to the 51% attack altogether so that stops even being an issue. I know Evan is working on something but no idea on the specifics on that yet.

But if you look at the Evolution spec chart on the OP it says: "Immune to 51% attacks." :wink:

eduffield will 2FA be be part of Evolution?

I ask because the end user is solely responsible for their DASH and they have no insurance should something happen, security will be of massive interest to the end user and features such as 2FA, Encrypted Backups, Wallet password security and a feature like Armory's paper backup would be great as all future generated keys could be restored using that one paper backup, which people can split using Shamir's Secret Sharing algorithm and then store each piece in different locations (This could be built into the wallet also).

With great security features we will gain users trust quickly

Yes, DAPI will allow network wide 2FA. I doubt it will be ready on the first version though.

The problem is already mostly solved isn't it? Just use InstantX to prevent double-spends, right?

Really exciting news! It really does sound like you guys are right on the cusp of releasing another update that will again remake the yardstick by which all other cryptocurrencies are measured. It is this spirit of innovation that has kept me tuned-in from the start.

Evan's announcement is chocked-full of promise, but I think the one that stands to do the most to broaden our appeal to potential new users has to be "fixing" the primitive address system that nearly all coins rely upon. That could be game-changer stuff!

I do have at least one lingering curiosity that I hope someone in a position to know might address:
Many of us on the team have experience building companies and marketing to new users, we’re going to utilize this experience over the next few years to bring many new users into our space.

This might be public info posted somewhere on dashpay.io (or perhaps even more likely, buried in a thread somewhere here) - but I've never seen the bona fides of most of the team (especially the marketing/management side)...

Could some please point me in the right direction for that kind of info?

Back