• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Vote: Self-sustainable Decentralized Governance by Blockchain

One proposal for future: it's be good to have "voting ID in command", like "masternode A-vote yes", "masternode B-vote no".
It will unlock us from "only one voting's term per definite period of time". And will make possible to organize several voting simultaneously (or 1 voting with many parameters).

I am also not absolutely happy about this voting and think some things may be done better way, but...
1. There are so many opinions and contradictory ideas - we could keep debating them for months... So more constructive is - to start with something, get first practical results and then correct system, than doing endless theoretical discussions.
2. For every decision - there are some logical-technical limitations, and many of them only developers are competent to estimate...
3. I realize proposed model as "release candidate (similar to initial early_2014_darksend)" that will be changed in future...

My general opinion on vote: it has to include announce - the exact way (and time?) MN ops may correct the proposed "model" in 2015... It will allow MN ops to feel more confident and stop being afraid of making "fatal mistake" by voting "yes".

i see this totally being part of it
when suddenly all MN's keep voting 'nay' (and concerns are raised in the community)
no project will get approved and the Dev team will and has to listen to the community
and we will go into the next round of discussions and eventually changes of the original idea

Fair enough. We have already taken the good path: the voted decision. Now, let's work wisely.

uL088mD.png

For the next version, can we use yes and no like normal human beings?

I dont agree with this at all, and here's why.

"yea" and "nay" is an exquisite cultural/historical reference. Its the oral version of "I vote yes/no" .. so people can say Yes and No all the time in an argument at will without ambiguity, and when it comes the time to take a voting stance, "yea or nay" causes no conflict or confusion.

Though MN's can't speak, it's a fabulous touch of class and indeed yet another sign that Evan is not only a great coder, but also well read and educated man.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I manage a bunch of MNs via a single masternode.conf, is there a vote-alias command so owners of particular MNs can instruct me how to place their vote?

If I manage a bunch of MNs via a single masternode.conf, is there a vote-alias command so owners of particular MNs can instruct me how to place their vote?

It's in the OP

"How To Vote

To vote, simply copy your masternode.conf into your dash directory, open the software then execute the command “masternode vote-many yea” or “masternode vote-many nay”.

To vote with a single masternode you can use the command “masternode vote yea” or “masternode vote nay”.
"

masternode vote-alias **** yea/nay
Yeah I tried that, having unlocked the wallet for 60 secs, and it just spits out the help thing

masternode "command"... ( "passphrase" )
Set of commands to execute masternode related actions...
...blah blah...

Yeah I tried that, having unlocked the wallet for 60 secs, and it just spits out the help thing

masternode "command"... ( "passphrase" )
Set of commands to execute masternode related actions...
...blah blah...
That method doesn't exist, not sure what TaoOfSatoshi meant to indicate. All you have for voting within the client right now are vote and vote-many. Also, voting does not require a wallet unlock.

That method doesn't exist, not sure what TaoOfSatoshi meant to indicate. All you have for voting within the client right now are vote and vote-many. Also, voting does not require a wallet unlock.
That's what I suspected. It's going to be a PITA for guys who manage a lot of other peoples MNs.

I suppose they will have to importprivkey each MN to a fresh yea or nay wallet for each proposal voted on, and use a yay- masternode.conf and a nay- masternode.conf unless someone can post a simpler way, or vote-alias in implemented?

That's what I suspected. It's going to be a PITA for guys who manage a lot of other peoples MNs.

I suppose they will have to importprivkey each MN to a fresh yea or nay wallet for each proposal voted on, and use a yay- masternode.conf and a nay- masternode.conf unless someone can post a simpler way, or vote-alias in implemented?
This will be probably solved in next version.... I suppose as it would be integral option in dash voting system. Give our guys a bit of time and you``ll see ;) I just love them :grin:

edit: v12 will bring the vote-alias..... confirmed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how you have brought back an increase of masternode commission of an extra 5%, this will bring incentive to open more masternodes and strengthen the network after the growth has presumably leveled off later on next year.

I dont agree with this at all, and here's why.

"yea" and "nay" is an exquisite cultural/historical reference. Its the oral version of "I vote yes/no" .. so people can say Yes and No all the time in an argument at will without ambiguity, and when it comes the time to take a voting stance, "yea or nay" causes no conflict or confusion.

Though MN's can't speak, it a fabulous touch of class and indeed yet another sign that Evan is not only a great coder, but also well read and educated man.

Another excellent little flourish, subtlety and class in every area :cool:

Just to clarify...do I need to load my cold wallet to vote, or can I vote on any wallet as long as the proper masternode.conf is loaded? I hate fooling with my cold wallet plus security issues...

Just to clarify...do I need to load my cold wallet to vote, or can I vote on any wallet as long as the proper masternode.conf is loaded? I hate fooling with my cold wallet plus security issues...
Just need the masternode.conf. Nothing is pulled from wallets here so you don't need to load or unlock cold wallets.

Or maybe you can vote from the remote servers. You only need to do either the nay or yea votes on the remote servers. Then in the masternode wallet do a vote-many and get the rest, since the votes can't be changed once voted.

Or maybe you can vote from the remote servers. You only need to do either the nay or yea votes on the remote servers. Then in the masternode wallet do a vote-many and get the rest, since the votes can't be changed once voted.
I'll try commenting out the nays in my masternode.conf, doing a vote-many yea, then reverse the comments and do a vote-many nay.

Just need the masternode.conf. Nothing is pulled from wallets here so you don't need to load or unlock cold wallets.
It's not working for me (this morning) I have yet to vote :( But I hope to get my vote in before we hit 51%, Though it'd be cool to be the vote that pushes it over the edge ;) LOL

Back