• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

I would respectfully disagree. I am a merchant with a number of businesses. An other then 2 of which I personally run...everyone of my staff cringe or laugh at the name Darcoin, when asked about their personal thoughts...most thought it was gimmicky and juvenile. Almost 100% of the 1000's of customers I've talked to this year basically with out trying to obvious...rolled their eyes at me. Ask me how many people asked to sign up for learning more about Darkcoin....NONE!!!! ZERO!!! NOT INTEREST! That plus more then an few remarks about Star Wars money shit.

I've discussed this with several other personal friends of mine that are too large holders of this currency that we don't see any future in retail applications with this name. Never. To the point we would have to as well part ways with this project. We need something that people can identify with. Period.

I'm a pretty damn good sales man...but if I can't get people that work for me or clients and customers to even consider it...we have a problem.

EDIT: To this point...we need far more input from real world business people that deal with customers. And I don't mean small counter culture types either, people that operate hemp shops or sex shops or what have you. We need every day business people consulting on this. This is beyond peoples with counter culture views, out on left field conspiracy believing on the fringe peeps.

This currency can certainly cater to consiracy types that need protection and regular people like me.

Most merchants I've talked with have the same view you describe of Darkcoin with Bitcoin. They're not interested. They have bills to pay, inventory to manage, and no time or financial capability to sit on Bitcoins and speculate. They simply don't have customers asking about it yet, and they don't have employees who want to get paid with it yet, so they don't look into payment processors that will take BTC. It's classic chicken and egg. If they can't identify with Bitcoin then no other cryptocurrency is going to work for them. This should tell you how early we are to the dance ball, and that we have a long road ahead of us. This is like 1994, dawn of internet age. We need serious patience here. Remember how so many gave up on Bitcoin only to find themselves regretting that lost hard drive.

Not sure if you're supporting me or not with that comment. The important thing is starting with something powerful

What part of Dash sucks don't you get? I'm all for rebranding if it means actually giving it some thought and coming with something good. You seem more worried about finding a logo to be a goddamn "Dash Dalmatian" than actually finding a name that sticks in people's minds. When I talk about emotions, they're involved in the creation process of finding a good name. It has nothing to do with the business decision itself, I know Darkcoin is holding itself back with the current name. Dash is a nice little twist on Digital Cash but by itself it's weak and doesn't convey that behind it is one of the most powerful payment systems available on the planet.
...In your opinion. Some of us think the name is quite grand. Our opinions don't count?
What's wrong with having a good Twitter logo? You made one for me yourself...

I would suggest everyone please stop reading Tao's twitter until he gets himself under control. He has done a lot of bluff on his twitter and spamming many forums with his worthless statements. So save your time and stop reading him.
I have done nothing of the sort. But I respect your opinion. Regardless of people who would seek to bash me, I will still continue to run my successful Twitter initiative, and I will continue to bring investors into DASH. I'm not sure what it it is I'm doing that you don't like, it's been totally successful. Maybe one day you will understand that.

I have done nothing of the sort. But I respect your opinion. Regardless of people who would seek to bash me, I will still continue to run my successful Twitter initiative, and I will continue to bring investors into DASH. I'm not sure what it it is I'm doing that you don't like, it's been totally successful. Maybe one day you will understand that.
Listen to youself. Calling it DASH before the final decision is going to make people think this is a unilateral decision more so than they already think!

Maybe we have a transitional period, like when the 280ZX came out. Remember the NISSAN 280ZX by Datsun? Before that they sold the Datsun 280z. After the 280ZX, everything they sold was a NISSAN.

Our company can be Darkcoin.
Our product can be DASH.
And we can market it as

DASH
Powered by Darkcoin

Eventually in a year or so we drop the Darkcoin moniker.

...In your opinion. Some of us think the name is quite grand. Our opinions don't count?
What's wrong with having a good Twitter logo? You made one for me yourself...

When a bunch of people on twitter start mocking the new name, it's time to take a hint. The community shouldn't be this divided over a new name. Most people are on board for a name change, just not "Dash". I made you a logo because I appreciate the amount of work you put in, even if I think that energy could be better focused and I really don't agree with some things you seem stubborn on. And I definitely don't think all opinions are equal depending on the subject. The fact that you want to be "the dash dalmatian" and that you can't STFU and stop calling it Dash like everyone agreed on it reduces the worth I place on any marketing idea you may have close to zero.

I saw you on the Bitcoin Rush video, it was an akward and uncharismatic presentation. You don't have a notion on how appearances work in relation to attracting the right kind of attention. You don't have what it takes to judge whether something is cool or not as perceived by the general public we are trying to reach and yet you continue to insist on your ideas. Maybe one day you will understand that.

More than anything else right now we need a CLEAR statement from Evan or another core team member as to how this process will proceed.

People posting this or that idea in a chaotic fashion over 2 forums mixed in with heavy trolling (on BCT) is only breeding more uncertainty.

We need a clear plan with dates on when decisions will be made along with who will be making the decisions as well as a clear statement on the role of the community in this process.
Though it is open for public discussion and input is sought and welcome, this is ultimately a decision for Evan and the Foundation to make. We are exploring the feasibility of securing a trademark on the Dash name, but this will include some legal maneuvering, so frankly, expectations for timelines are unrealistic at this point.

In the meantime, if anyone has a name in mind that works better than Dash, we're all ears. The name didn't do much for me at first either, but the more I considered it, the more it grew on me and I find myself unable to come up with anything better (and I challenge anyone here to do just that).

Yidakee has the right of it on page 9 IMHO. It's a solid name for this product for a number of reasons.

I don't see that everyone disagrees on the name.
Tao, my main issue is that you are very quick to push PR for DASH before it is OFFICIAL. This isn't necessarily about whether DASH is a good name, it is about timing. I would hate to see you jump the gun on PR for a name that may not be. There would be pushback from those outside the community and make it seem like we name change all the time. I know you have control over many aspects of the Darkcoin PR so I just want to make sure you aren't jumping the gun. Sometimes your enthusiasm gives off that feeling.

So I read through some more discussion on the events around the name change and updated my initial post on this topic above. Here is my edit:

I found a post on BTC that clears up some of my misconceptions about the decisions made.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10726461#msg10726461

I still feel like this could have been done better and it seems that some of the foundation are admitting that and apologizing. As much as I'd love a full explanation etc. I know there are more important things afoot for the community that Evan and the foundation are dealing with and I will trust they are making wise decisions. I still hold that more in the community should have been consulted, especially vertoe. Why vertoe? Because he/she put an incredible amount of time and energy into so many aspects of this project and his/her departure could have been prevented by proper communication and asking for input. Evan admitted he did not ask vertoe for his/her opinion because "it was already public."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10726739#msg10726739

That is not a good enough reason to not include one of the most active devs on the team in the discussion.

Maybe we have a transitional period, like when the 280ZX came out. Remember the NISSAN 280ZX by Datsun? Before that they sold the Datsun 280z. After the 280ZX, everything they sold was a NISSAN.

Our company can be Darkcoin.
Our product can be DASH.
And we can market it as

DASH