• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

Right now, it is obviously a chaos. This has gone faster than expected, but let us think about a better process to involve everyone. Any ideas are welcomed.

A welcome polyphony of opinions & emotions.

The very core of Darkcoin properties is, by itself, a bundle of features that go straight in your face! The face being that of the system and the Overlords. This is the underlying issue no one is really addressing when discussing "re-branding" and the name change. What eduffield has created is indeed a revolutionary tool, thusly the one that is not easily dealt with.

This is not the Occupy movement "they" could break by spraying people like they are cockroaches and beating them on the streets. This is an elegant, math based property (Darkcoin, that is) and we should decide once for all, is Darkcoin one of the tools "we the people" could use to further our rights and our freedoms or not. Than, and only than we should worry about some merchants (let these that agree with the message come in), some exchanges (let other flourish) and the name.

If Darkcoin is not a tool for freedom at most or a private digital cash at least, what is it than? A better bitcoin that would be, rest assured, attacked by the system no matter the name, precisely because of its properties. There's another possibility, of co-existing in peace. We build our better world, based on digital economy, digital freedoms and "they" calm down with their insane NSA spying, endless wars and treating us all as either their slaves or their cannon fodder and let us live in an entrepreneurial society. (versus this amalgam of politics, fiat money and corporations that create thinly veiled tyranny)

This is the very fundamental issue that popped up as a result of overly-lawyerly preemptive thinking that would not preempt anything. I propose to follow the advice Andreas Antonopoulos gave to the Canada's Senate Committee regarding the lawmakers' approach to bitcoin: "Do nothing! And let the technology grow."

Last edited by a moderator:
Main thing to me is it was "discussed internally".

I'm one of the oldest general members, part of the extended team and foundation member and *wham* I just got hit with the news. Why?

Its like there is a second tiers already in place, but in decision making. I totally understand "I talked with fernando 'cos he's a lawyer" .. or " had a google hang out with people of expertise" ... but "discussed internally" ... like out of the public ledger? kinda like DarkDecision?

I hated DASH when it hit he, now its growing, and 100% understand the motivation. I agree with it!!

I'm more for libertarianism than subversion, no question.

The conflict is the place Darkcoin has for me... being totally out of the loop out of such a big thing. And so many others too.

I understand that feeling of being left out and I hate that we have caused it. I'm really sorry.

The only thing I can say is that Evan has a spreadsheet with the opinions of a lot of people in the community. We have had the branding discussion in the forums many times in the last year. Evan has avoided giving his opinion because he was open to anything, but he has read and recorded much of it. He has been thinking about this for a long time and has considered many people's opinions, even if he hasn't asked them directly. Recently it seemed like more people were in favour of a change and businesses were saying the same, so it was time to open the discussion.

Few things from btct:
"DAPS( Digital Anonymous Payment System)"
I like shift to "Payment System" from "Coin" or even from "Cash"
"sending money would then be dapping"
Also like that part.

and just for fun: DARPASYS (Digital Anonymous Reliable PAyment SYStem) (yes, it's DARPA inside;))

I understand that feeling of being left out and I hate that we have caused it. I'm really sorry.

The only thing I can say is that Evan has a spreadsheet with the opinions of a lot of people in the community. We have had the branding discussion in the forums many times in the last year. Evan has avoided giving his opinion because he was open to anything, but he has read and recorded much of it. He has been thinking about this for a long time and has considered many people's opinions, even if he hasn't asked them directly. Recently it seemed like more people were in favour of a change and businesses were saying the same, so it was time to open the discussion.
Yes, the longer we wait to do this, the harder it will be. I also talk daily with many people, and the name issue comes up A LOT. We really do give the coin more of a chance to thrive this way.

The time is now, whatever new name we choose...

Thats the whole god damn point !! I avoided those threads becuase its was... just another random thread of speculation with zero to do with the main gig.

Evan should have followed this simple algorythmn

--Stage 1
"Some people voiced that the name Darkcoin in not suited for X,Y,Z application and that a brand change could be beneficial"
Vote Yes / No = Outcome, then .... Evan decides, final word Yes or No
If Stage 1 = YES, goto STAGE 2, not then STAGE = life as usual

--Stage 2
"Name choice"
Community Propositions and Vote .... Evan decides, final word.

People discuss dozen of "useless" crap everyday here, its impossible to know where something is relevant.
This would have give time for reflection and debate. Not mayhem.

The name is a powerful thing and destroying it and the identity is a clever socially engineered takedown of Darkcoin from our 'competitors'.
The Darkcoin team can not taken out by FUD, trolls and hacking attempts, as they are too strong, this is done from a different angle in order to separate and weaken us.
Consider that something feels very wrong when Vertoe says she is leaving, the core programmers take precedence before anyone else, they are more important than vague promises from big companies that they will use Darkcoin in the future and after all, the superb coders are what has put Darkcoin where it is today and not some 3rd party marketing company.
When the time is right and you have achieved all that the masternodes and IX are capable of, the big companies will not care about the name because by then it will not matter, instead concentrate on building up and strengthening the beating heart of the masternode network.
This in turn, will form the backbone of the internet in the future, and is how it should be,
please do not walk down a different path.

Kind Regards.
Sub-Ether

Disc is impossible to seo
DASH is impossible to SEO. We should consider something like DropCoin or DropCash. I can actually hear it now:
Cashier at Whole Foods: "How are we paying today?"
Me: "DropCash" [holds down TouchID]
Cashier: "Have a great one!"

The name is a powerful thing and destroying it and the identity is a clever socially engineered takedown of Darkcoin from our 'competitors'.
The Darkcoin team can not taken out by FUD, trolls and hacking attempts, as they are too strong, this is done from a different angle in order to separate and weaken us.
Consider that something feels very wrong when Vertoe says she is leaving, the core programmers take precedence before anyone else, they are more important than vague promises from big companies that they will use Darkcoin in the future and after all, the superb coders are what has put Darkcoin where it is today and not some 3rd party marketing company.
When the time is right and you have achieved all that the masternodes and IX are capable of, the big companies will not care about the name because by then it will not matter, instead concentrate on building up and strengthening the beating heart of the masternode network.
This in turn, will form the backbone of the internet in the future, and is how it should be,
please do not walk down a different path.

Kind Regards.
Sub-Ether

I dont agree with that only because of Betamax vs VHS. Not always the best wins, but who deploys and markets first.

vertoe has been displaying a lot of resentment for some time. He is sort of the "Darth Vader" here, he does want to represent the wrong meaning of the word dark, with high emphasis on the dark markets and subversion. That can be huge, but in essence a niche, albeit huge.

What Evan proposed has dimensions of hugeness greater, with a clean honest face. We has lost brilliant before all of a sudden (chaeplin) no one ever found out why, but he did. It was a damn shame, but it not the end of the world. Not to mention the Ape-shit (pun intended)

And while yes, a company name has a (legal) product and brands it silly and it is a champion, good on them!
When its a financial instrument, we can never hope to deploy big with the name Darkcoin, that is self-evident!

A like I said so many times, one does not negate the other. We can have a clean face, and the code and infrastructure in place to help out on the deep web, be it subversion, or empowering the oppressed, while say, have a third party fully loaded with AML practicing a totally different game. But they'll never get an AML with a coin named Darkcoin.

vertoe, pleeease chill out and come back and participate in this debate, at least.

I think the name eCash would work well, it’s simple and explains exactly what Darkcoin is about (electronic cash). I’ve seen a few community members mention this name whenever discussions about renaming have happened and for me this would be perfect.
What Milton Friedman predicted is essentially what Darkcoin has become:
Can anyone think of any reason why this name couldn’t be used?

Few things from btct:
"DAPS( Digital Anonymous Payment System)"
I like shift to "Payment System" from "Coin" or even from "Cash"
"sending money would then be dapping"
Also like that part.

and just for fun: DARPASYS (Digital Anonymous Reliable PAyment SYStem) (yes, it's DARPA inside;))

That will have essentially the same fundamental issue here, the looming ghost over it's name.

DASH says it all now, comparing to VISA, SWIFT, Mastercard, Paypal ... essentially all protocols with or without features, something "clean" and "empowering" to the general population, with instant appeal would be nice.

SAFE - Secure, Anonymous, Fungible Exchange ... I hate this one now, 'cos its not cool at all, explains too much and leaves even more out.

But it definitely has to be something fast, phonetically snappy, and idiot proof if we're going to do this, and in that regard, DASH does fit the bill perfectly.

And the point is we CAN legitimately say that we're digital cash as we're happily fungible.

Excuse me, let me repeat:

When you are going to create successful project - you must forget what you like or dislike - you have to be oriented to what like or dislike majority of your potential clients. This coin is created not for current users (developers, investors, traders, ...) - but for mass sector (people who still even don’t know about DRK).

We need to trust people like Minotaur, Fernando, tungfa, TaoofSatoshi, ... because they are working in the field and have practical understanding what potential users and partners want. (And they are even more competent in this question than professional marketing and branding agencies with just theoretical knowledge in crypto).

If you don’t trust them and it is not obvious for you that «some-new-name» is better than "darkcoin" - everybody can make his own research regarding this (find new people and try to "sell" them same project with different names and decide the most effective name).

Excuse me, let me repeat:

When you are going to create successful project - you must forget what you like or dislike - you have to be oriented to what like or dislike majority of your potential clients. This coin is created not for current users (developers, investors, traders, ...) - but for mass sector (people who still even don’t know about DRK).

We need to trust people like Minotaur, Fernando, tungfa, TaoofSatoshi, ... because they are working in the field and have practical understanding want potential users and partners want. (And they are even more competent in this question than professional marketing and branding agencies with just theoretical knowledge in crypto).

If you don’t trust them and it is not obvious for you that «some-new-name» is better than "darkcoin" - everybody can make his own research regarding this (find new people and try to "sell" them same project with different names and decide the most effective name).

Sure. But this is only one side of the coin. The rest I've already explained. Most people were upset not about the "what" (the idea of the name change), but about the "how".

Sure. But this is only one side of the coin. The rest I've already explained. Most people were upset not about the "what" (the idea of the name change), but about the "how".

Totally agree. Of course people don't have to feel "being ignored".

I am so sorry about vertoe's emotional dump. This situation reminds me one more time that emotions must be switched off when you are dealing with money. And if somebody wants to exit - it may be more effective way of doing it.

Back