• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Your first computer?

Commodore 64

320px-Commodore64.jpg

YES!

That was (for me) the first affordable one.

Funny side note: after my very first "Hello world" program I figured that Commondore's BASIC really sucked and directly started with Assembler.

Now THAT was fun :smile:

I did not have a C64, unfortunately, but I have been listening to the SIDs for quite a while now. I like the raw sound from the 6581.

No one else is listening to HVSC?

Last edited by a moderator:
YES!

That was (for me) the first affordable one.

Funny side note: after my very first "Hello world" program I figured that Commondore's BASIC really sucked and directly started with Assembler.

Now THAT was fun :smile:

After many months with Basic in my Atari 65XE I wrote small program in assembler: debugger. ;)
I also hack my first game: Nexus - endless life. Couple of NOP instructions in place of counter. ;)

I wanted a Sinclair ZX80, but fortunately the ZX81 had just came out as a kit form(way cheaper than built -saved my pocket money loads lol). It took me 5 hours to build, had to soldier every single chip by hand, arr those were the days.
Mine worked first time but many customers were returning them to be rebuilt at added cost by Clive Sinclair's technicians at the factory.

Commodore 64

320px-Commodore64.jpg
My beautiful C64 came third (after my ZX spectrum). It was the first computer I ever had that included, 1) a real sound chip that didn't halt the CPU 100% when making a sound 2) coloured sprites- amazing objects that actually moved across the screen smoothly deleting themselves as they went and had actual collision detection (cutting edge at the time, great for games lol)

Same here. Still remember getting "Load Error" all the time when trying to load a game from a tape :)
not a problem once you had the cartrige ;)
btw. this funny lines all the way on the tv during the loading the data :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpr
Atari 800 with cassette drive and 300-baud modem, but was technically a hand-me-down.

First one bought with my own money was Amiga 500 like OP. NES boys couldnt believe their eyes/ears when they came over to play Psygnosis games.

P
Atari 800 with cassette drive and 300-baud modem, but was technically a hand-me-down.

First one bought with my own money was Amiga 500 like OP. NES boys couldnt believe their eyes/ears when they came over to play Psygnosis games.
Psygnosis... Ahh dude you've just brought some nice memories back for me...

Man. There must be some old folks on here. ;-).

Most of what you say goes over my head.

My parents had a BBC micro for their first pc. And they've still got it.

my first computer was a MacPro (1st generation laptop)
I am a super latecomer to this world !
:wink:
If7UBlh.jpg

Commodore C64

I remember writing in BASIC some text adventure games .. fun times. Time certainly has gone by fast ...

Here is the real deal - the first PC I met in 1982 was the fully compatible copy of Apple ][ - the bulgarian Pravetz 82 ;)

Pravetz_82_by_milenplus.jpg

And then in 1985 I bought my first home PC - Pravetz 8D, compatible with the french Oric Atmos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oric#Clones

It has the 6502 CPU too but wasn't compatible with Apple and Pravetz 82 (what a disappointment), so I started to write my own programs and record them to a.. cassette tape.. :grin::grin:

Back