• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Stonehedge is back!

LOL I haven't been gone for long! Most of that is mine although there are a few contracts to top up. I don't have regular access to hardware though. I only get to use it during downtime.

I'm planning on building a really big rig soon though. I need a new project.

yeah buddy we missed you, I had picked up some rentals while you were gone but not nearly at this level, it's good to see you back I hope you didn't take my joke seriously. How BIG are you going to build? Sky is the limit..... I always wondered with the big 50+ card farms are they all data centers? is there a collections of peoples rigs photos somewhere, in our forums? I read theses rental descriptions air cooled and monitored 24x7 and I wonder what it REALLY looks like......ya know

yeah buddy we missed you, I had picked up some rentals while you were gone but not nearly at this level, it's good to see you back I hope you didn't take my joke seriously. How BIG are you going to build? Sky is the limit..... I always wondered with the big 50+ card farms are they all data centers? is there a collections of peoples rigs photos somewhere, in our forums? I read theses rental descriptions air cooled and monitored 24x7 and I wonder what it REALLY looks like......ya know
Ya they all say Datacentre, 24/7 monitoring bla bla bla...

This was my setup, but I've sold most of it off, electricity is to $$$ in Australia:

DSC_0008_zps4d33cb7e.jpg

Wow my problem is where do I put all these miners I would like to find some sort of office space for rent with power included. I wonder if anyone is going rouge for power, I've seen MMJ growers in Colorado who dug underground to get to the non metered power line and then spliced onto it live for free power.....Was thinking about loading up some rigs in my car and parking in this one Walmart that has a power outlets at one of the lampposts.....HAHA

Wow my problem is where do I put all these miners I would like to find some sort of office space for rent with power included. I wonder if anyone is going rouge for power, I've seen MMJ growers in Colorado who dug underground to get to the non metered power line and then spliced onto it live for free power.....Was thinking about loading up some rigs in my car and parking in this one Walmart that has a power outlets at one of the lampposts.....HAHA
When I lived in the UK, a good mate of mine grew a lot of "plants" in the attic. He also managed to pull power to the house from the other side of the metre, so it wasn't registered. I tried so many electricians here in AUS, none of them were dodgy enough to do it, I guess I don't hang around in the right circles since I've moved back home to Aus.

When mining was profitable I could afford to pay the rent and power with the proceeds, then as profits dropped I moved into the warehouse to save rent... Now, I'm selling off all the rigs and buying masternodes, it's a much more cost effective way to obtain DRK.

I'm keeping two token NVIDIA rigs, to help with securing the network, however my mining days are over sadly...

Somebody I knew in the UK dug through his basement, under the pavement and spliced into the street lighting power feed from there.

In terms of what I'm doing, I'm hoping to call in a favour and run a quick PoC with one of these:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/enclosures/product-detail.html?oid=1844065

loaded with one of these (fully pimped out at 512GB)

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-2743ENW.pdf

If it works with one GPU blade then I'm pretty sure it'll run with 16 in :)

If/when I get access to the hardware (I know of two C7000 not in use in a data-centre that I used to manage but I don't have any GPU blades I'll post a thorough writeup with photos :)

Somebody I knew in the UK dug through his basement, under the pavement and spliced into the street lighting power feed from there.

In terms of what I'm doing, I'm hoping to call in a favour and run a quick PoC with one of these:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/enclosures/product-detail.html?oid=1844065

loaded with one of these (fully pimped out at 512GB)

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-2743ENW.pdf

If it works with one GPU blade then I'm pretty sure it'll run with 16 in :)

If/when I get access to the hardware (I know of two C7000 not in use in a data-centre that I used to manage but I don't have any GPU blades I'll post a thorough writeup with photos :)
You're using these to mine x11?

No, just arranging a POC.

If it works with a single GPU blade then I'm going to see if I can call in some favours and borrow the super high spec GPU blades that TV stations use for encoding/decoding multiple HDTV broadcast feeds. I've heard (although not confirmed) that they can encode 16 channels in 1080p through each blade.

The reality of it is that it probably won't work and even then would require new mining software.

I just figure that while I have access to this kind of hardware it'd be silly not to see what happens.

No, just arranging a POC.

If it works with a single GPU blade then I'm going to see if I can call in some favours and borrow the super high spec GPU blades that TV stations use for encoding/decoding multiple HDTV broadcast feeds. I've heard (although not confirmed) that they can encode 16 channels in 1080p through each blade.

The reality of it is that it probably won't work and even then would require new mining software.

I just figure that while I have access to this kind of hardware it'd be silly not to see what happens.
OK well I know a few Cuda guys that would probably enjoy giving you a hand on this, if you do actually actually have some success and would like an optimisation.

You could be onto something big here...

OK well I know a few Cuda guys that would probably enjoy giving you a hand on this, if you do actually actually have some success and would like an optimisation.

You could be onto something big here...

Or wasting my time :D

I still like the idea of distributed CPU/GPU mining on a larger scale but I can't work in two directions at once. There is even the technical possibility of not needing mining at all.

In the meantime I'm just going to have some fun and try to waste as little money as possible. :D

yeah but what is power consumption on that bad boy, this has to be a good 5000+ kw ps

Or wasting my time :D

I still like the idea of distributed CPU/GPU mining on a larger scale but I can't work in two directions at once. There is even the technical possibility of not needing mining at all.

In the meantime I'm just going to have some fun and try to waste as little money as possible. :D
Totally against the spirit of Crypto but if it means you can do it piss farting around with spare cash, then there's people already doing it abusing the system. Then, we can react accordingly...

I'm jealous, I want to play with cool toys as well :wink:

The best bit is that part of livening up a new data centre is load testing the air cooling and checking for hotspots which means that we sometimes need to run all hardware at load for a period of time and use thermal cameras to spot "dead spots" of air circulation. Amongst my colleagues and compatriates, we've found that CPU mining 128 quad Xeon (thats four Xeon CPUs, not just cores) G7 blades is quite a good way to get a high load and try to warm a room!

You can only do it for a limited period of time (6 hours tops) but it really is the best way to check that your front to back or under floor cooling is working.

Sadly I think I'll have less of these opportunities in future as cooling systems are changing. I've worked on a few water cooling projects and under floor air extaction where the rack is hermetically sealed to the floor is starting to take off again. In those configurations, hot air is sucked out of the bottom of the rack and cold air blown into the top. It works quite well if you're careful when racking up your kit.

The best bit is that part of livening up a new data centre is load testing the air cooling and checking for hotspots which means that we sometimes need to run all hardware at load for a period of time and use thermal cameras to spot "dead spots" of air circulation. Amongst my colleagues and compatriates, we've found that CPU mining 128 quad Xeon (thats four Xeon CPUs, not just cores) G7 blades is quite a good way to get a high load and try to warm a room!

I think I need to switch jobs...

Back