• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Blue vs B&W Logo

Blue or B&W logo?

• 1. Blue

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • 2. B&W

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not trying to complicate things, but... maybe it should be less cyan, as I mentioned above.
Is there a run off vote for blues? ;D
...Sorry Lims! :/

dc_nlcol_t1-jpg.59
Sent you something via DarkSend :D
EDIT : It didn't go through weird. Tried 3 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I really like the lighter shade in the OP. The other kinds of blue are over-represented in the market, and this one looks fresh & modern to me.

Personally I really like the lighter shade in the OP. The other kinds of blue are over-represented in the market, and this one looks fresh & modern to me.

Well that's a reasonable argument. I just don't like cyan much.
But also... wrt voting on colors being a little premature, one color plus b&w isn't really much of a color scheme, as far as making a palette for websites and such.
What other colors or shades-of might go with "this blue? ..or this other blue?".
Anyway, just a thought. It would take some time to really work up some good palette sets. And I'm by no means a color theory expert.

Well that's a reasonable argument. I just don't like cyan much.
But also... wrt voting on colors being a little premature, one color plus b&w isn't really much of a color scheme, as far as making a palette for websites and such.
What other colors or shades-of might go with "this blue? ..or this other blue?".
Anyway, just a thought. It would take some time to really work up some good palette sets. And I'm by no means a color theory expert.
Yeah, I mean I figured discussion of the full colour palette for the branding guide would come after logo selection. But there's no reason in principle why we can't talk about it now. I'll have a play with palettes and see what might look good with this particular blue.

Also, fwiw I don't like cyan either. But this isn't cyan, it's more like baby blue. Or according to wikipedia, "carolina blue". Cyan is brighter, more flourescent. Basically an eyesore.

fpHs0ir.png

It's hard to know what a given palette will look like until it's in context. We will probably need some mockups to make the decision properly. The palette might look saturated here but on website they may be used as secondary/tertiary colours for a tiny fraction of screen space, meaning they're a lot less overpowering. Also, the central band of bright colours doesn't have to be used at all (notice the various shades on either side).

This is where a professional designer would come in handy -- for palette advice, knowledge on modern design trends, and mockups.

I was originally for B&W but now I'm thinking something lighter will slightly compensate for the name of the coin.

I managed to click the wrong one and I can't edit my vote <.< well well, seems like blue is gonna win anyway :D

Not so excited about the duck-D in the logo though :p
Duckcoin.png

lol it's possible you're the only one who saw the possibility of a duck in that D, and also those are some pretty sick photoshop skills :p.

Thanks for all your work here LimLims. Try not to lose your mind trying to find the -absolutely perfect- shade of blue!

Now I'm confused I think he posted those variations because you said that there was only the blue one. o_O It's an idea, the designer of the logo can easily make those changes. Moreover, I don't talk about an elimination tournament on the contrary I'm telling you to keep all the color variations, they can be great e.g. for t-shirts.

I don't think having a set official color palette will prevent anyone from using whatever color they want on a T-shirt. The official color palette is for... official things :)

You can still have your pink realtree D on a T-shirt. With a duck...

I don't think having a set official color palette will prevent anyone from using whatever color they want on a T-shirt. The official color palette is for... official things :)

You can still have your pink realtree D on a T-shirt. With a duck...
I was just thinking that it could be original to have an official logo with 2 or 3 different colors.
And I don't see a duck, anatidaephobia maybe ? lol

Can you stop making polls that last only 48h??
:mad:

I got some real life!!

Yeah, everyday life in a Borg collective must be really hard. But I guess, in this case, having a 24/7 stable high bandwidth Internet connection in your head should compensate your for the lack of idle online time. :D

----

Otherwise, I suggest nobody should care too much about the exact shade of blue (or any colors for that matter).

You know, when people use uncalibrated nonprofessional random monitors (no, the price alone does not matter in this regard) without proper color management (you will know for certain if you have this, otherwise no, you do not), they all see randomly different, sometimes just barely similar colors on their screens (lighter, brighter, less or more saturated, warmer, cooler, etc). Just try to place your laptop display next to your desktop monitor and then your TV screen. You might will be surprised. :eek: You would probably ask for a smaller correction in the official logo's color than the absolute error in (probably all) your display(s).

(By the way, I actually do have a display with correct sRGB color rendering. But in this case, it doesn't really matter unless we all do...)

Hmm... I think this could be a great argument for black and white. (Even if your display has a drifted white point -which is probably the case- your brain always recognizes it as black and white regardless because it's just a contrast, not a "color" thing and your brain adapts to the only white it sees - unless it's extremely drifted.)
However, I got to like this cyan-ish blue. Microsoft slowly made me like it.:p

Back