• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

why are we so obsessed about US , when crypto only works in developing countries

Dashmaximalist

it is absolutely beyond doubt that cryptocurrencies will not take off in United status which has the strongest currency in the world.

Cryptocurrencies are primarily suitable for places where currencies are weak , failing states etc. places like venezuela and zimbabwe.

it doesnt matter how many PR campaigns we launch in US , people will not use dash to pay for coffee , atleast not in the foreseeable future

Thoughts ??

The financial crisis of 2008. is the evidence to the contrary.
A lot of people in the US distrust the banking system and stock exchanges and want to protect their money, too.
It may be more interesting as a store of value than as a currency at the moment, but there is definitively a lot of interest.

The financial crisis of 2008. is the evidence to the contrary.
A lot of people in the US distrust the banking system and stock exchanges and want to protect their money, too.
It may be more interesting as a store of value than as a currency at the moment, but there is definitively a lot of interest.

so are you saying people in US are more desperate to get into crypto than people in venezuela ?

are you saying an American will pay for coffee in dash sooner than a zimbabwean ?

do you know that people in zimbabwe are paying 100% premium to buy bitcoin because of currency controls.

Do you know hotels in Argentina prefer bitcoin over credit cards because of the crazy exchange rate set by the govt.

do you know that 1 usd fetches about 3000 bolivars on the black market in venezuela while its just 10 bolivars in the eyes of govt

i personally think we should target our efforts on low hanging fruits , instead of spending millions on PR campaigns which will show results 10 years later, when we can bring real and immediate change in these failing economies.

No, of course not.
We should target anyone that would be interested in Dash.
I don't see that we've discriminated against any market, as long as there are good proposals.

we are probably not discriminated , but we are heavily attracted to US based themes and are more generous and trusting towards US based proposals.

we should support potentially risky sounding proposals that target the developing countries because the infrastructure is not well built like in US, whether its supporting exchanges (https://www.dashcentral.org/p/gc-colibit) or bringing millions of users like in this proposal ( https://www.dashcentral.org/p/International-mass-marketing-using-sms )

in the US we have luxury of having great exchanges like coinbase which give out $10 for sign up etc which is not the case in other countries

Last edited:
I feel like the general public in both developed and developing countries will benefit from crypto currencies but yes with better understanding I do believe that those in developing countries will take to it more BECAUSE our currencies lack the stability of those in the developed world. If I could use a currency that was stable and the decisions of my government didn't affect it, I would.

I feel like the general public in both developed and developing countries will benefit from crypto currencies but yes with better understand I do believe that those in developing countries will take to it more BECAUSE our currencies lack the stability of those in the developed world. If I could use a currency that was stable and the decisions of my government didn't affect it, I would.

unfortunately most MNOs dont realise the importance of focusing more on developing countries

unfortunately most MNOs dont realise the importance of focusing more on developing countries
yea, its hard to understand a world you've never lived in and only seen on TV, or short vacations. I also feel like in Africa we get introduced to crypto currencies only after they have literally become unaffordable. DASH went from $750 to now $1500 in 2 weeks. this is the best time to get in and to introduce it to people

yea, its hard to understand a world you've never lived in and only seen on TV, or short vacations. I also feel like in Africa we get introduced to crypto currencies only after they have literally become unaffordable. DASH went from $750 to now $1500 in 2 weeks. this is the best time to get in and to introduce it to people

it will go up to $10,000 in next few months , so that's not an issue ;)

I don't think it's the matter of not realising the importance, it's more the case that early adopters were in developed countries, so most of the MNOs are located there and naturally, they best understand the local populace and view local opportunities.
I'm not from the US, I live in eastern Europe, so I don't have any idea how to make a proposal for something that happens in US, Venezuela or Africa.
As we see more adoption in countries like Venezuela, I expect to see more proposals from those territories.
This assumption about affordability is false. You can buy any amount of Dash and get all the benefits of the system.

I don't think it's the matter of not realising the importance, it's more the case that early adopters were in developed countries, so most of the MNOs are located there and naturally, they best understand the local populace and view local opportunities.
I'm not from the US, I live in eastern Europe, so I don't have any idea how to make a proposal for something that happens in US, Venezuela or Africa.
As we see more adoption in countries like Venezuela, I expect to see more proposals from those territories.
This assumption about affordability is false. You can buy any amount of Dash and get all the benefits of the system.

Hope things change for the best ! :)

What I was trying to convey is 2 weeks ago DASH was at $750, now its sitting at $1500. $1 = R14 this side. 1 dash= $1500 = R21 000 and with R21 000 I can pay rent for 3 months, not many people understand that you can buy 0.001 DASH. There is need for activations and promotions this side. For people this side its about being able to access a financial platform you can perform transactions and store your wealth. Send money home, protect yourself from volatile currency exchange rates etc.

When I introduce someone to Dash, I found it easiest to use the mobile wallet that is set to show the value in local currency, so when I send some small amount of money to them, they don't really look at the Dash number, they are more aware of the local currency equivalent of the value I sent to them.

When I introduce someone to Dash, I found it easiest to use the mobile wallet that is set to show the value in local currency, so when I send some small amount of money to them, they don't really look at the Dash number, they are more aware of the local currency equivalent of the value I sent to them.
Totally agree, will definitely use this during activations this side. South Africa is definitely a worthy market. What wallets do you use? I've been trying out the Coinomi but any suggestions of good wallets will be appreciated.

I use the standard Dash wallet. I never had any problems with it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hashengineering.darkcoin.wallet&hl=en

Also, I try to always go through the steps of securing the wallet and setting up wallet backup.
I show the person how to back up the wallet to a file with a password, how to upload that file to the Google drive, so the wallet is safe in the case the phone stops working for some reason and it can be restored on another device if needed.
Then we set the spending PIN also, so nobody can send the funds from the device without knowing the PIN.
I always point out that they must remember the password and PIN, or they will lose their money.

I use the standard Dash wallet. I never had any problems with it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hashengineering.darkcoin.wallet&hl=en

Also, I try to always go through the steps of securing the wallet and setting up wallet backup.
I show the person how to back up the wallet to a file with a password, how to upload that file to the Google drive, so the wallet is safe in the case the phone stops working for some reason and it can be restored on another device if needed.
Then we set the spending PIN also, so nobody can send the funds from the device without knowing the PIN.
I always point out that they must remember the password and PIN, or they will lose their money.
Thank you, took a screenshot will definitely follow your steps. Going to download the wallet now. It will be easier to explain when I've also used it.
Thank you :)

Speaking to the US bias...this post is in English after all! I am thrilled to see the other languages on dash.org, but I am unable to read them. If I could read them, would I also read the US bias? My hunch is "no".

I totally agree with this post the vast majority of MNO do prefer US proposals, which makes it very difficult to get support from the community if one is making a proposal coming from the developing world.I believe seperating the two would serve the community well and bring good proposals from the developing world into the limelight.

Crypto Heat Maps: Most Pop by Country.. .
Global-Crypto-Heat-Map-snapshot-DASH.png

https://www.inverse.com/article/39125-where-is-bitcoin-popular-maps-reveal-areas-with-the-most-buzz-on-twitter?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=culture&utm_campaign=photo

Last edited:
Back