• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: OpenBazaar integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickfromSA

Hi guys,

I saw this article last night on Cryptocoin news and thought it would be a great opportunity for Dash integration:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-fees-rise-openbazaar-looks-altcoin-payments/

I see Charlie Lee from Litecoin has already assigned a developer to integrate into their marketplace.

How can we propose to integrate Dash as well? I see Dash is mentioned in this article but I'm not sure if the community has been approached yet.

I'm also not sure if this is a proposal that should be submitted to Masternodes first since it is development related rather than marketing.

As I've mentioned in other thread, this was discussed for years.

The blocker is that dash-only OB network would have hard time to bootstrap: no things to buy -> no buyers -> no sellers -> no activity.

Natural idea would be to use BTC<->DASH gateway, like shapeshift, to allow DASH users to buy BTC-denomindated stuff. And then promote DASH to sellers as a cheaper/better alternative. This was discussed for some time last fall, but finally there was a consensus that this step should not be funded by the network.

I have a roadmap updated, it depends on electrum wallet. Now I'm in talks with the core team.. @kot , I'd appreciate the responce to my emails.

I'm familiar with this redesign.

The question is the requirements for **our** project: what we want for payment/escrow layer? Stay BTC? Move completely to DASH? Make it a choice?

I'm also not sure if this is a proposal that should be submitted to Masternodes first since it is development related rather than marketing.
If you know a developer that would do this task, you can propose it to the MNs and see if it will get funded. There is no "marketing only" sign at the ballot.

@lynx, I can do this task, but first we should come to an agreement which task is "this".
Great! IMO the vendor would choose what currency(s) to accept, the costumer would choose a currency to pay, and OB would make it happen.

But yes, it gets really tricky when we consider the escrow. Since you can't force the vendor to accept price fluctuation risk in currencies he/she doesn't accept, escrow should be kept in the vendor denominated currency, and the costumer is assuming this risk when making the purchase.

Can someone please link to how escrow work on OB, I have a running OB store, but I cant really see how does escrow works in OB. Am I missing something?

Great! IMO the vendor would choose what currency(s) to accept, the costumer would choose a currency to pay, and OB would make it happen.

But yes, it gets really tricky when we consider the escrow. Since you can't force the vendor to accept price fluctuation risk in currencies he/she doesn't accept, escrow should be kept in the vendor denominated currency, and the costumer is assuming this risk when making the purchase.

Well, so should I update the estimates and come up with the proposal?

Well, so should I update the estimates and come up with the proposal?
All good on my end. But if I were you I would wait to see a few more supportive voices in this thread first, since the idea was already "rejected" once.

Thanks I read it, but I dont see the issue. I can see a listing page on DASH.org for the OB community and have some third parties (for dash) listed. I think is the same as in blocksquare or bitrated. There is nothing automated about this, the biggest thing will be to provide the mutli-sig account which could be done from the OB software itself, AFAIK DASH supports multi-sig just as well as bitcoin.

Is there any issue I am missing particularly with DASH?

What if buyer pays with DASH and sellers wants BTC? @lynx suggested to use sellers currency always, this is one possible solution.

Yet, DASH buyer might be stil unsatisfied if his purchase won't go through and during moderation period, DASH/BTC exchange rate would change significantly (say, from 0.011BTC/DASH to 0.11BTC/DASH)

If the goal is to create single blockchain OB fork, then there was never any technical issue. Just business ones: how to bootstrap such network.

I'll work to update my proposal and will submit it here, or in a separate thread.

I think this mixed solution is difficult to implement, but will ultimately benefit OB, Dash and the consumer. The initial lack of Dash-accepting merchants will be supplanted by the option of paying in Dash anyway; merchants that want to accept Dash don't need to give up on potential BTC costumers. And of course Dash's privacy features and lower fees will drive more sales and might eventually dominate the market.

Talking with Chris Pacia

This is the interface that would need to be implemented https://github.com/OpenBazaar/openbazaar-go/blob/master/bitcoin/wallet.go
It's not set in stone. If it's not agnostic enough then I be open to recommendations.
This is an example of a bitcoind implementation that uses the bitcoind rpc interface https://github.com/OpenBazaar/openbazaar-go/tree/master/bitcoin/bitcoind
So basically dash could just clone that into an new package and make whatever tweaks are necessary to make it work.​

Let's just approve this, who cares if we have to pay a few thousands, it's ROI that counts

This new wallet type they have setup is an interesting idea and very easy to implement. (ofc means users need to run a full node, not a big deal for Dash at this point in time.) hmm tempting and distracting

Last time I looked at it, they were reworking so meany things. Might be they finally stabilized as they get closer to 2.0 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back