• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternode Sharing

DashEcon101

I have 700 dash and don't really care to spend another 25k to get to 1,000, but I really would like to be part of a masternode for the dividends. Has anyone worked with moocowmoo? I feel strange simply transferring 700 dash to someone.

Think of it as retirement savings. Your portfolio will rise and fall, sometimes soar, sometimes collapse, but on average over the long term show a healthy return on investment.

Or you can lose it all in one fell swoop.

You've decided to look on the bright side.

I have the same issue. A few shares might not be that bad, but handing over a good years salary is nerve wrecking. I'm usually a person that put my trust in people. And there's certainly a lot that count toward moocowmoo's favor. Part of the core team, have been running the masternodes for quite a while, digital signatures and contract for deposit and payments. But other than that, what do we really know? He seems to be totally anonymous. That's does not help my confidence. Do even the core team know who he is in real life?

There's probably a slim chance, but he could run away with it all after building up a lot of masternodes. What happens if he's in an accident and can't remember the wallets passphrase, or worse...? Anyone know if he have insured against such things? Are there any backup plans, or would it all be lost in a encrypted wallet somewhere? The same goes for Splawik I guess. We do see he's face on the core team page. Seems like a charming guy, but that does not help a ton :D

Are there anything that can prove a better assurance for the users? Some kind of bidirectional collateral, testimonials, ties to public services which require ID, so we know the persons are real in case something happens etc? I don't know... Something :) I'm not used to give $50 000 to other people that I've never met or know the name of.

Let me also be very clear that I respect both moocowmoo and Splawik for the work and effort you've put into dash, the organization and your service. I hope this does not come off as a negative or huge distrust. I just need to be the most certain I can before deciding.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. A few shares might not be that bad, but handing over a good years salary is nerve wrecking. I'm usually a person that put my trust in people. And there's certainly a lot that count toward moocowmoo's favor. Part of the core team, have been running the masternodes for quite a while, digital signatures and contract for deposit and payments. But other than that, what do we really know? He seems to be totally anonymous. That's does not help my confidence. Do even the core team know who he is in real life?

There's probably a slim chance, but he could run away with it all after building up a lot of masternodes. What happens if he's in an accident and can't remember the wallets passphrase, or worse...? Anyone know if he have insured against such things? Are there any backup plans, or would it all be lost in a encrypted wallet somewhere? The same goes for Splawik I guess. We do see he's face on the core team page. Seems like a charming guy, but that does not help a ton :D

Are there anything that can prove a better assurance for the users? Some kind of bidirectional collateral, testimonials, ties to public services which require ID, so we know the persons are real in case something happens etc? I don't know... Something :) I'm not used to give $50 000 to other people that I've never met or know the name of.

Let me also be very clear that I respect both moocowmoo and Splawik for the work and effort you've put into dash, the organization and your service. I hope this does not come off as a negative or huge distrust. I just need to be the most certain I can before deciding.

MooCow did say that if he didn't touch his computer for one month then all coins are automatically redistributed to addresses that sent them in. This is his fail safe in case he gets in a car wreck, God forbid!

Oh, I don't blame you at all @Carlh.

$3 dash was one thing, now, asking those questions just proves you're sane.

I do my best to be transparent, and that's all I can do given that I value my
anonymity more than the meager earnings I collect from shares.

Money is not a motivator for me.

My anonymity helps to protect my users funds as well. Physical duress/access
is the only threat I can't engineer around.

Yes, a few members of core know who I am. @coingun's even been to my house! (That lucky bastard!, hehe)

All good questions, and all things I think warrant clarification given the new
valuation paradigm we find ourselves in.

Everything that I've built started as a personal developer "itch" I needed to
scratch while getting familiar/handy with blockchain tech.

Individually pruning masternode payments was getting tedious, so I wrote some
python talking to redis to keep track of the payments coming into my
masternodes. Then I added more python to build transactions, then some JSON to
drive the thing:

Code:
{ "address":"Xw5FPEuCWc9iP2N6e2EBrN6TuiArzEe9S8", "sendo": "XeadWfSmE2chACcvjPsahpEKuxPiheB9pp" }

But I still needed a secure way to sign them.

I've got to cut this bit short, but suffice it to say it involves shuttling
unsigned transactions to a machine that has never seen the light of Internet
where they are lovingly signed, saved, unmounted, mounted and broadcast.

A year later, automatic sends for me grew into automatic scale-computed payouts
to multiple share holders. Now the JSON looks like:

Code:
    { "label" : "node-011", "ip_address":"80.240.135.83",   "chain":"7p/0/11", "address":"Xw5FPEuCWc9iP2N6e2EBrN6TuiArzEe9S8",
        "launched": "2014-11-19 21:40:44", "shared": "true", "rewardsto": [
         { "XeadWfSmE2chACcvjPsahpEKuxPiheB9pp" : 0.32000 },
         { "XkUkhtzWviLmW6bCUhjb3m11Ms9Zn6AQ9h" : 0.12750 },
         { "XvL39wqNVyP82oiYzRCAbmipfBxNcyVMct" : 0.08500 },
         { "XfQYztH28vZ6bPEy1xQHDFNSriC77pNPZN" : 0.08500 },
         { "XnMHMjBLqCesFMvmydWUFnjTJjEsXWACxz" : 0.08500 },
         { "Xgi9W5T3hJQPrz72WxvdXfbSher1aWQffc" : 0.06375 },
         { "XwyenpD3jAUEMXvXWhioqxEP3xyuEvqGp3" : 0.04250 },
         { "XhXWkMEhiDKpncJw9V1ZkvxtZsQbgH7o7L" : 0.04250 },
         { "XfR8jxMff8tioKuzjRJwKUdH82yFuTSUzZ" : 0.02125 },
         { "Xk2yZaVpjV7ZeFRuQePidd1FuRHQpaheem" : 0.02125 },
         { "XpEqWfJKWW9oJwdRUKT9nniqsinX9hPWRW" : 0.02125 },
         { "Xm7L8NBjc2hm41dNLBgW8Dp6A4iFMoibkZ" : 0.02125 },
         { "Xah9XmNGyALfzoVenhiQz3tZwXLjRqSmNz" : 0.02125 },
         { "XofuVfwavj6LuRNuYg9S7aGjKFWjsSDn7w" : 0.02125 },
         { "XdCgxm5fL5Si2oeWQJgd6YCnontpDH815p" : 0.02125 }
    ] },

And creates transactions that look like:
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/t...494486359714956228207dab402e0811d5943d357.htm
which are then reported on and emailed out https://masternode.me/downloads/payment_report.txt

All because I had an "itch."

My failsafe system is actually just the payment system, repurposed. If my dev
box ssh sessions all reach 30 days idle, pre-signed transactions are broadcast.
Nothing fancy, just cron and text. Every time I update the disbursement json,
they are regenerated.

No, https://keybase.io/moocowmoo is a start. A social extension of web of
trust. But, I'm sure some services like that will spring up over time as our
digital personas become more significant influences in the real-world.

Trust does have value. It's one of the strongest expressions of respect, and
something I won't ever abuse or take for granted. Mostly because I respect
myself.

Reputation is a motivator for me.

Nah, you'z hatin' and you know it!

But, thanks for saying that. That's what I was going for.

Gotta run, wifes tapping her foot.

It certainly makes me a bit more at ease. My first option will be to get one or more family members to join in on the rest of the investment. But if they do not want to, I do have a good second choice here. Thanks for all the information and advice!

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know if @splawik21 has a similar "failsafe" or "dead man's switch" in place in case of something unexpected happening, like getting hit by a bus...

Back