• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Lets Add a Chat Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't even know why some started using Slack instead of IRC. Far as I can tell, there isn't much real-time Dash chat anywhere, so I'm not sure adding more places (that aren't bridged) makes sense. Having an embedded web IRC client here could be interesting though.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't even know why some started using Slack instead of IRC. Far as I can tell, there isn't much real-time Dash chat anywhere, so I'm not sure adding more places (that aren't bridged) makes sense. Having an embedded web IRC client here could be interesting though.

IRC is pretty much reserved to tech wise people, and it's quite clunky and inconvenient. A chat room on site, where you just click and it opens up a new window in browser would lower the barrier to entry considerably and would get a community going.

Further, a community chat room on site can be moderated to reduce fraud and trolling and help on board newbies as well as develop the soul of the site.

I've hung around IRC for a long time and it's not a good solution for this, slack I can't comment on.

Pablo

IRC is pretty much reserved to tech wise people, and it's quite clunky and inconvenient. A chat room on site, where you just click and it opens up a new window in browser would lower the barrier to entry considerably and would get a community going.
Further, a community chat room on site can be moderated to reduce fraud and trolling and help on board newbies as well as develop the soul of the site.
Pablo

Yer, could be good, although I was part of the quarkcoin community for a while and they had loads of trolling and spamming in their chat box despite being moderated, don't know till you try I guess.

Yer, could be good, although I was part of the quarkcoin community for a while and they had loads of trolling and spamming in their chat box despite being moderated, don't know till you try I guess.

Yep, that's a real risk. Depends on how much effort we devote to moderating and how we set it up; it may end up not being worth the trouble based on return, but it's worth a shot.

I kindda feel like even if it's trolled, it would be worth it as over time good actors should be able to guide the conversation, similar to what happens in IRC actually.

Pablo.

It would be nice to have a "Telegram" DASH group, especially for important update announcements, or Masternode alerts, for example.

- I would not ad another chat !
With IRC and Slack we have more than enough
- Telegram , pm me a telephone number and I can ad you to "Dash Knights Group" (47 members)

- I would not ad another chat !
With IRC and Slack we have more than enough
- Telegram , pm me a telephone number and I can ad you to "Dash Knights Group" (47 members)

Very cool!

I've hung around IRC for a long time and it's not a good solution for this, slack I can't comment on.

Pablo
I'm not sure if it's feasible for the owner of this site to have to take more responsibility of running a community chat room on site. He's not making money and we're actually lucky to be on here for free. And not sure why you think IRC is not a good solution. I found Darkcoin on IRC. It's the place for many things happening. Some people found this coin on Bitcointalk; to each, their own.

But anyways, one simple click anyone can get on Freenode to IRC:

Go to https://webchat.freenode.net/ A page will open for them to fill in a few things:

1. Name (pick a nickname)
2. Type in name of Dash channel: #dashpay
3. Type in the recaptcha
4. Click "CONNECT"

That's it! You'll be right in the chat room. Here's an example:

upload_2015-6-18_19-52-35.png

Tx for the "guide" moli
I remember when I went onto IRC last year the first time , it was a bit intimidating and I thought so too that it is "tech pro's only"
And it is NOT
As in any chat or page we have ,
Rule #1
No question is too stupid or too simple to ask ! There are always people to support and help and nobody will make fun of you, as we all had to start somewhere !
(I am still asking stupid tech questions all around and luckily the community loves me for that :wink:)

Tx for the "guide" moli
I remember when I went onto IRC last year the first time , it was a bit intimidating and I thought so too that it is "tech pro's only"
And it is NOT
As in any chat or page we have ,
Rule #1
No question is too stupid or too simple to ask ! There are always people to support and help and nobody will make fun of you, as we all had to start somewhere !
(I am still asking stupid tech questions all around and luckily the community loves me for that :wink:)
Oh.. If you could see that channel last year in March... Hardly anybody talking and when they talked, i did not understand as I was a newie to crypto... But I started to learn by just watching and reading.. We've come a long way.. Many people there are very helpful. N00bs or non-n00bs are welcome there. I'm still a n00b myself, so nobody else should feel intimidated there :)

I'm not sure if it's feasible for the owner of this site to have to take more responsibility of running a community chat room on site. He's not making money and we're actually lucky to be on here for free. And not sure why you think IRC is not a good solution. I found Darkcoin on IRC. It's the place for many things happening. Some people found this coin on Bitcointalk; to each, their own.

But anyways, one simple click anyone can get on Freenode to IRC:

Go to https://webchat.freenode.net/ A page will open for them to fill in a few things:

1. Name (pick a nickname)
2. Type in name of Dash channel: #dashpay
3. Type in the recaptcha
4. Click "CONNECT"

That's it! You'll be right in the chat room. Here's an example:

View attachment 1456

Hey :),
I'm not sure what restrictions there are for the site owner, so I'll skirt that fact for now and concede that that could kill the idea.

Basically, unless you are a techie, IRC is pretty bad:

1. The interface is dated.
2. The link you provided is helpful, but should be prominent on the main page, as it stands now you have to ask for it and not everyone knows there is an IRC channel.
3. The number of clicks it takes you to get it going is high, as a site member with a site chat room it takes exactly one click.
4. The interface is complex, it provides differing information as to whats going on in chat, it's not clean.
5. I highly suspect a forum chat room would be more active, it's pretty silent in IRC a lot of the time.

I concede a good first step might be to make the IRC link more prominent on the forum, but we should not delude ourselves into thinking IRC is a chat solution to induce mass adoption. It fails the "Grandma" test as in "Would my grandmother be able to use it?".

Hope that makes sense :).

Pablo.

IRC is not bad and the guide that moli posted should help those who have trouble. I think the most user friendly chat we could use is the slack channel. A lot of communities are using it. The openbazaar slack channel always has chatter going on, always. When that shitty new altcoin CRAVE was created, the slack channel instantly got 100 new members and the chatting was endless.

Slack is leading the way for easy to use chat platforms for teams and communities. I think the best idea would be to make the dashpay slack channel open to the public and let anybody join.

Hey :),
I'm not sure what restrictions there are for the site owner, so I'll skirt that fact for now and concede that that could kill the idea.

Basically, unless you are a techie, IRC is pretty bad:

1. The interface is dated.
2. The link you provided is helpful, but should be prominent on the main page, as it stands now you have to ask for it and not everyone knows there is an IRC channel.
3. The number of clicks it takes you to get it going is high, as a site member with a site chat room it takes exactly one click.
4. The interface is complex, it provides differing information as to whats going on in chat, it's not clean.
5. I highly suspect a forum chat room would be more active, it's pretty silent in IRC a lot of the time.

I concede a good first step might be to make the IRC link more prominent on the forum, but we should not delude ourselves into thinking IRC is a chat solution to induce mass adoption. It fails the "Grandma" test as in "Would my grandmother be able to use it?".

Hope that makes sense :).

Pablo.
If you can create and run such a chat site, go for it. :) This is an open source project, anybody can create anything they like to add to the project.
I've been on IRC for a long time and seen a lot of good and bad things, and on every IRC network there are social channels also for non tech people or just anyone who like to socialize. From my experience if a channel exists just for chatting/socializing, it will deteriorate fast, because people like to create drama and gossip as part of their socializing. This is why i prefer technical channels where people have a purpose to be there.

I'm not sure if someone doesn't like a bit of tech why would he join Dash. Most people who like this coin are either very tech savvy or if not, they do like the interesting tech part of it. As for mass adoption, I don't believe this coin is for our "grandma". I believe the mass adoption happens is when more libertarian, tech savvy, educated intellectuals are convinced this is it.

IRC is not bad and the guide that moli posted should help those who have trouble. I think the most user friendly chat we could use is the slack channel. A lot of communities are using it. The openbazaar slack channel always has chatter going on, always. When that shitty new altcoin CRAVE was created, the slack channel instantly got 100 new members and the chatting was endless.

Slack is leading the way for easy to use chat platforms for teams and communities. I think the best idea would be to make the dashpay slack channel open to the public and let anybody join.

We are using a free account for now
That's why we are a bit limited there !

We are using a free account for now
That's why we are a bit limited there !

With a free slack account there are unlimited Full member invitations. If we turned this slack channel into an open community for anyone to join we can deploy Slackin onto a free heroku app and people can get invitations automatically, (they go to a webpage, input email and it requests an invite). We could even deploy the app onto it's own server and point a domain to it if we wanted too. For instance we could make slack.dashpay.io point to the Slackin web app on a server so instead of dashpay.herokuapp.com we have the former.

https://github.com/rauchg/slackin
I've already tested this app on my own slack channel and it works perfectly. I can set it up in about 5 minutes for the dashpay slack page using a free instance on herokuapp . If we are not going to be using slack for the dev team it might be a good idea to open it up to the public. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back