• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Riveting Movies that kept me enthralled till the end

here are some more

Docu's
- talhotblond (totally crazy , must watch)
- Darwin's Nightmare (very good)
- Dogtown and Z-Boys (THE classic scate doc)
- Pray the Devil Back to Hell (Liberia and the power of woman, amazing)
- The Aristocrats (very finny)
- RIZE (LaChapell directed , famouse photographer, great doc)
- Good Hair
- Dub Echoes (anybody into Dub Music ? this is THE doc, so cool)
- Enron, the smartest guys in the room (a bit old by now, but amazing)
- Why We Fight (AMAZING)
- any documentary from Werner Herzog ! he is the best, and has the coolest style
Grizzly Man !! and the others
- Oliver Stone
Untold History of the United States ! (Amazing, long and a must see)

Movies
- The Fast Runner (1+2)
- Hotel Rwanda
- a most violent year

that should cover you for now

Definitely covered for now thanks! and yes am into the occasional music documentary and love dub reggae, going to start with your Dub Echoes tip :cool:

Here's some more underground films, then I'll stop for now :)

- Born in Flames (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085267/). Definite proof that imdb ratings are sometimes way off..
- The Holy Mountain (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071615/). It doesn't get more psychedelic than this..
- The Warriors (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/). One of the recent Simpsons episodes was based on this

Australian cinema seemed to die off after such classics as Mad Max,Walkabout and Razorback during the boom times but has had a rebirth and some of the crime thrillers and horrors are excellent, and there are kick ass Mexican movies that never even get a single showing in our way too Hollywood main stream cinemas in the UK.

Australian cinema seemed to die off after such classics as Mad Max,Walkabout and Razorback during the boom times but has had a rebirth and some of the crime thrillers and horrors are excellent, and there are kick ass Mexican movies that never even get a single showing in our way too Hollywood main stream cinemas in the UK.

Don't forget Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109045/). You don't see Hugo Weaving like that every day :)

Definitely covered for now thanks! and yes am into the occasional music documentary and love dub reggae, going to start with your Dub Echoes tip :cool:

Walkabout was the first Australian movie I got to watch as a kid... still remember I felt weird about Australia... lol.

aussies have a great movie scene !
they are coming up with more and more better productions, they are always a big rough (as style) but have great ideas

I'm sure you guys have seen "Lars and the Real Girl": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805564/ Just hilarious.

I think I met "Lars" the other day.... A friend and I were at a coffee shop and we met this old guy.. He said he owned a few antique cars so we told him we wanted to see if that was true. He left the coffee shop, then came back a few minutes later with a Ford antique car that looked quite nice and shiny... And sitting next to him was his gf who couldn't talk... LOL..

Tungfa, where's your must-watch Anime list?:grin:

Hahaaa
Good thinking

As for general best movie EVER
(Wu tang soundtrack , RZA, Jim Jamusch and kung fu)
Ghost Dog !!

Animation
- (the usual suspects )
Akira
Ghost in a shell 1+2
Princess Mononoke (amazing/ anything from that director actually)
There is not much out there i think

Hahaaa
Good thinking

As for general best movie EVER
(Wu tang soundtrack , RZA, Jim Jamusch and kung fu)
Ghost Dog !!

Animation
- (the usual suspects )
Akira
Ghost in a shell 1+2
Princess Mononoke (amazing/ anything from that director actually)
There is not much out there i think

Ghost Dog gets stunning reviews, in the process of getting it :grin: ...

a total MUST + the Soundtrack !

Loved it, kept enthralled to the end.
The way I spot a good movie is they do stuff that I have never seen in another and in this case:-

a) he lives on a roof with pigeons and uses them to relay messages as opposed to using the phone network.
b) shoots someone through a plumbing pipe in the sink (such innovation)
c) uses the teachings of the Samurai to help guide his life(good proverbs, much to learn)
d) has only 1 best friend, who can not speak any English at all and does not understand a word of what he is saying.

I tipped you for such entertainment in making our evening :grin:
f5d932d9c1....

Loved it, kept enthralled to the end.
The way I spot a good movie is they do stuff that I have never seen in another and in this case:-

a) he lives on a roof with pigeons and uses them to relay messages as opposed to using the phone network.
b) shoots someone through a plumbing pipe in the sink (such innovation)
c) uses the teachings of the Samurai to help guide his life(good proverbs, much to learn)
d) has only 1 best friend, who can not speak any English at all and does not understand a word of what he is saying.

I tipped you for such entertainment in making our evening :grin:
f5d932d9c1....

tx man
you encourage me to dig deeper in my download section

not sure i we can beat this one

Do Kung Fu movies count ?

- Kung Fu Hustle !
is legendary !! (must see if you into KungFu movies)
! it is really authentic (even to now) of characters, scenes, the comedy, total chinese style
best seen in china town or with a chinese community !!

- Iron Monkey
old and legendary

- Sukiyaki Western Django
(Yusuke Iseya in action)
directed or advised by terrentino
mix of spagetti western and kung fu

- 7 Samurai
watch the original black / white

Animation
(haha, now i remember)
- Afro Samurai 1+2 (1 is better)
Soundtrack RZA

I'm sure you guys have seen "Lars and the Real Girl": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805564/ Just hilarious.

I think I met "Lars" the other day.... A friend and I were at a coffee shop and we met this old guy.. He said he owned a few antique cars so we told him we wanted to see if that was true. He left the coffee shop, then came back a few minutes later with a Ford antique car that looked quite nice and shiny... And sitting next to him was his gf who couldn't talk... LOL..
Lars was good. Couldn't help thinking WTF all the way thru the movie.

A 70's pre Mad Max Aussie movie "The Car that ate Paris" was one of the first "out there" movies I'd seen.
IMO was the forerunner to Mad Max.

Back