• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Dash Conference 2017 (London)

This proposal is cross-posted at www.dashcentral.org/p/conf-dash-201708

This proposal will fund the first ever Dash-dedicated conference in London on September 24th.

At a time when "ICO" is the buzzword of the day, Dash has experienced incredible growth and broken out of a ever-growing pack. The Dash community stands in contrast to the current market environment as a grassroots movement aiming to reinvent money to be empowering for people all across the globe. It is time to bring our community together to share ideas, inspire each other, educate each other, create new connections, and celebrate the vision we are pursuing. We propose to hold the first Dash Conference on September 24th at The Oval Space, London.

Who will organize this event?

Keynote has been organizing blockchain events since 2012 - including the North American Bitcoin Conference in Miami, and the World Blockchain Forum. They have organized events in 7 countries for over 8,500 attendees, all focused on blockchain. The Keynote team has a network of connections with potential sponsors and speakers to help make Dash's event a success. Keynote will provide five full-time staff members through the date of the event.

We are also proposing working with Keynote because they can help draw newcomers to Dash from the blockchain interested crowd attending another Keynote event on September 25th-26th at the same venue. I will explain more as well as the benefits of this below.

What will the event be?

The Dash Conference will be a one-day event. The venue rental is at The Oval Space, London. There will be a main hall for speeches, panel discussions, and demos for broad audience topics, and smaller breakout rooms for specialized content (e.g., technical discussions, working sessions, product demonstrations). We will offer the opportunity for business partners or other interested parties to host booths in an exhibitor area outside the main hall. The event will also be fully catered including breakfast, coffee breaks, and lunch.

We will also capture and own the content from our event. Audio visual services will be on site providing projectors, microphones, media walls, videographer, photographer, and LCD screens.

Keynote will also provide full event branding, including a web ad campaign, a mailchimp campaign, and printing of banners, lanyards, cards, and brochures.

Finally, there will be a separate conference networking event on the evening of the 24th, and will include attendees from both the Dash Conference and World Blockchain Forum. By straddling the two events, we hope to encourage further opportunities for co-mingling Dash attendees with others in the blockchain industry. We encourage the Dash community to use this opportunity to introduce Dash to a new audience... even those that missed the Dash event.

In addition to the Dash conference itself, Dash will be named the Premiere sponsor of the World Blockchain Forum, and will be granted two speaking slots at this two-day event on Sept. 25th-26th, as well as a set of complementary tickets to attend that event (no less than 4 tickets).

To encourage potential attendees to attend both events, Keynote and Dash plan to collaborate to offer discounts for purchasing tickets to both in a package. This will help infuse more Dash attendees in the World Blockchain Forum, and will encourage attendees currently outside the Dash community to attend our event.

What services does this proposal fund?

Keynote services include:
- Staff costs for the development and execution of the conference, including staff on the day of the event for organization, manning of the reception desk, etc.
- Venue rental for the main hall, exhibitor hall, and breakout rooms.
- Marketing, design, and printing costs for all conference-related materials
- Catering
- Audio / visual equipment and staff
- World Blockchain Forum sponsorship
- Conference networking event, including venue rental and organization
Total: 227,000 GBP (~$295,000 USD)

Other costs:
- Dash Core Team transportation and accommodation expenses for approximately 12 team members
~$30,000 USD
- Dash Conference swag / giveaways for attendees
~$5,000 USD
Total: $35,000 USD

However, note that much of these funds will be recuperated through ticket and sponsorship sales. The exact amount will depend on discounts offered for dual-purchased tickets and strategically gifted booths or tickets to select business partners we want to encourage attending. Any conference revenue will be applied toward the next Dash Conference, or will be used for other conference-related expenses.

Where can I find more information? What is the schedule / agenda?

More information on the World Blockchain Forum can be found here: https://london.keynote.ae/

As we only recently concluded a final agreement with Keynote, the exact agenda, speakers, topics, etc are not yet determined for the Dash Conference event. We will be working with Keynote starting next week to begin the planning process and will release information and details as we progress and confirm speakers. We will be reaching out to potential speakers over the coming weeks. We will also accept proposed topics / speeches / demos from Dash partners, well-known community members, etc as we plan the event. We will provide a central point of contact within the team for fielding these requests / suggestions.

If you have any other questions, please direct them to @Ryan Taylor in this Dash Forum post to ensure I see your request.

Requested funding is as follows for the August 4th budget cycle:
  • 1,696.48 Dash for sponsorship and expenses for Dash Conference and Premiere sponsorship of World Blockchain Forum ($330,000 USD @ $194.52 per Dash)
  • 5.00 Dash proposal reimbursement
Total: 1,701.48 Dash

Note: Should any funding remain, we will apply it toward future conference and travel expenses.

Manually vote YES on this proposal:
dash-cli gobject vote-many 096e8323bd1c7ca95320f42834bae3b8dbecb46dc5aa12baea4d7bac655551aa funding yes
OR from the qt console:
gobject vote-many 096e8323bd1c7ca95320f42834bae3b8dbecb46dc5aa12baea4d7bac655551aa funding yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:
dash-cli gobject vote-many 096e8323bd1c7ca95320f42834bae3b8dbecb46dc5aa12baea4d7bac655551aa funding no
OR from the qt console:
gobject vote-many 096e8323bd1c7ca95320f42834bae3b8dbecb46dc5aa12baea4d7bac655551aa funding no

I'd other plans for the end of September but they can be put on hold for this, see y'all there :)

Really looking forward to this.

For those who are flying into London on the day, the airport with the easiest onward journey to The Oval Space is Stansted.

Gatwick and Heathrow are also about 1 hour 15 minutes away, just with a few more changes on rail and underground. If you get the train reduced Sunday services will be in effect on some lines so check crosscountrytrains.co.uk for timetables & tickets.

If you are traveling from somewhere in Europe - London City Airport would be the most ideal.

Looking forward to seeing you there! Any suggestions for topics and / or panels?

Moe

A few thoughts:
Digital cash and the unbanked, anything from underbanked nations to markets/merchants that use only cash.
Bigger blocks, how optimising blockchain capacity reflects on other scaling solutions.
Distributed Autonomous Organisations. Hard to list any one aspect because the potential is huge and smart minds will be paying a lot of attention to them, probably a bigger buzzword than "blockchain" before too long.

Last edited:
OK. It looks like you have the funding. For some, cost is not an issue. For others (me) it is. Considering how much funding has gone on, the ticket price should be low. I am not bothered who will be speaking as I know that they will all be relevant. Just give us the price and booking details.

I think that Max Kaiser has now left London. I saw a video of him explaining that the regulatory threats coming from Ofcom made him feel unsafe.

Do you have a link about those threats from Ofcom? Ofcom is a complete joke. It makes me mad and totally sick when I watch the blatant and sensational lies and propaganda coming from Channel 4 News et al. That they could ever get away with such propaganda tells me we are living in very dangerous times.

Do you have a link about those threats from Ofcom? Ofcom is a complete joke. It makes me mad and totally sick when I watch the blatant and sensational lies and propaganda coming from Channel 4 News et al. That they could ever get away with such propaganda tells me we are living in very dangerous times.
No. Just allegations directly from the horses mouth.

Morning. If this has passed - and it looks like it has - can we have some detail please such as ticket prices. If nothing else, just give us the ticket prices.

Back