• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

OpenBazaar DASH fork?

JZA

A talk on DASH knights about possibility to have an OpenBazaar fork for DASH, given that:
a) OB is FLOSS
b) OB is Python
d) Why not?

This will enable to have a DASH centric dameon, looking at the OB-Server code the requirements for bitcoin are bitcoin-tools, python-libbitcoinclient and python-bitcoinlib.

I am not related with a couple of the libraries so I want to open a discussion to people that has worked more with such libraries and see how plausible is this fork to happen and how much amount of work would it take.

Should it be as simple as redirect the bitcoind to a dashd or would it also need to fork such dependencies to a point that is unmanageable.

I haven't look at the source code for bitcoinlib and libbitcoinclient, I know bitcoin-tools are more trivial, since is mostly a collection of scripts.

I read a few posts from that thread but there is not really any code discussion unfortunately. Most of the posts talk about, why should we be the ones who pay for this? OpenBazaar team says is too much work...

I wonder if there is more technical disucsions on what are the technical roadblocks to achieve this. I have only read the code on OBS, not the client, but from the server I can say that all it does is a remote socket connection. tcp://libbitcoin2.openbazaar.org:9091

Aside from that most of the code is sort of standard and should be able to work with DASH. The big thing is really 2 files, the market/contract.py file and the market/transaction.py files.

Both uses the following submodules from the python-bitcoinlib module: from bitcoin.core.script import CScript, OP_2, OP_3, OP_CHECKMULTISIG and
from bitcoin.wallet import P2SHBitcoinAddress, P2PKHBitcoinAddress, CBitcoinAddress

So basically one is to create the transactions and the other is to manipulate the addresses. This shouldn't be a huge roadblock given that the dash wallet will have some analog functionality to both create and sign transactions.

The thread starts off with a lot of debate, but ends with quite a bit of useful technical discussion. If you're familiar with Go, then I suggest coordinating with @flare. Good luck! :)

I have used Go but I am more of a Python guy.

I've found my answer which is basically you need to port the requirements and I think that's the real problem of the port.

The python-libbitcoinclient and python-bitcoinlib libraries which are independent of the openbazaar project would need to be re-formatted.

I can't really understand however why would they want to make it more complicated by switching it to Go. Since this can also represent trying to port the functionality of these libraries but also their own requirements Go-compliant.

I for once would prefer to stick with python, and just reroute the instructions to the dash server, although if these libraries actually go that deep to create a bootstrapped version of dashd then I guess it might be a good idea to think Go instead of C/C++.

Last edited:
you should really post / talk to the guys in that OB thread
akhavr and ashmoron forgot his name now really looked into this in details and ashmoron did a bunch of work on that already
they know best + there s another thread with much more technical talk and discussions

you should really post / talk to the guys in that OB thread
akhavr and ashmoron forgot his name now really looked into this in details and ashmoron did a bunch of work on that already
they know best + there s another thread with much more technical talk and discussions
Links?
I have been talking with a OB Chris Pacia from the OB team, he let me into some good info about the new OB. AFAIK the way is design is a custom spv wallet.
https://github.com/OpenBazaar/openbazaar-go/blob/master/bitcoin/wallet.go

Back